Gluten Free Carrot Cake Muffins
Spring reminds us of a rebirth, as we are surrounded by flowers blooming, beautiful weather and our usual routine slowing down a bit in preparation for summer… farmers markets are another springtime favorite as we love to browse the fresh produce and invent new recipes which often include malibu mylk…. A favorite is the following carrot muffin recipe adapted from @cookieandkate:
- 1 ¾ cups gluten free flour (we like bob’s red mill)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups peeled and grated carrots* (from ¾ pound carrots—about 3 large or up to 6 small/medium)
- ½ cup roughly chopped walnuts
- ½ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flax milk with 1 tbs apple cider vinegar set together for 5 mins to make vegan buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. If necessary, grease all 12 cups on your muffin tin with butter or non-stick cooking spray (my pan is non-stick and doesn’t require any grease). In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger and nutmeg. Blend well with a whisk. In a separate, small bowl, toss the raisins with 1 teaspoon flour so they don’t stick together. Add the grated carrots, chopped walnuts and floured raisins to the other ingredients and stir to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oil and maple syrup and beat together with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well, then add the yogurt and vanilla and mix well. (If the coconut oil solidifies in contact with cold ingredients, gently warm the mixture in the microwave in 30 second bursts.)
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a big spoon, just until combined (a few lumps are ok). Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups. SBake muffins for 13 to 16 minutes, or until the muffins are golden on top and a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack to cool. If you have leftover muffins, store them, covered, at room temperature for two days, or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Freeze leftover muffins for up to 3 months.
Learn how to make my Carrot Cake Pancakes an amazing over-the-top recipe so you can have your cake for breakfast!
This dairy free cupcake recipe is insanely simple to make and equally delicious! It also uses everyday ingredients you probably already have in you...
This Baked Berry Oatmeal is made with simple and healthy ingredients for satisfying and delicious breakfast.