Top 5 Reasons Flax Makes the Best Milk
When deciding to make a plant based milk, I wanted the source of the milk to come from an incredibly nutrient dense food, and there are few vegan food sources that are more nutritious than flax.
Here are the top 5 reasons that I choose flax to make my organic, vegan milk:
1. Flax is full of omega-3s and in fact is the largest vegan source of omega-3 ALA (alpha-linolenic). Omega -3s are known to reduce inflammation. Also, according to many sources including the Cleveland Clinic, ALA is an essential fatty acid that the body must get from food. A few of the things all these omegas help accomplish:
- “Reduces blood triglyceride values.
- Neutral effect on the good cholesterol, HDL.
- Reduces blood pressure.
- Reduces platelet aggregation (clot formation) within arterial lining.
- Reduces inflammatory response.
- Might protect against stroke.”
2. Flax is full of fiber! Fiber is such an important part of our diets. Flax is full of soluble and insoluble fiber, which has been proven to decrease total cholesterol as well as LDL cholesterol. Soluble fiber is easily metabolized by the gut. Fiber reduces constipation and aids in weight loss. Fiber lowers the rise of your blood sugar after a high carb meal.
3. Flax has lignans, phytonutrients, which help control estrogen levels. “Scientists have studied flaxseed lignans for their ability to fight breast cancer and other estrogen-related malignancies. The most plentiful type of lignan in flaxseeds, secolariciresinol diglucoside or SDG, displays promising anti-estrogenic activity.” Lignans have also shown to have a positive effect on systolic blood pressure.
4. Flax is a good source of protein. Several lab studies have shown, “that flaxseed protein helped improve immune function, lowered cholesterol, prevented tumors and had anti-fungal properties.”
5. Flax is a good source of minerals and vitamins. Flaxseeds contain vitamin B1, and copper, magnesium, phosphorus, and selenium.